The following list was prepared by Hayden Peake, curator of of the CIA Historical Intelligence Collection, and published in the March 2012 issue of Studies in Intelligence.
- Abuse of Power: How Cold War Surveillance and Secrecy Policy Shaped the Response to 9/11, by Athan G. Theoharis.
- Counterstrike: The Untold Story of America’s Secret Campaign Against Al Qaeda, by Eric Schmitt and Thom Shanker.
- International Intelligence Cooperation and Accountability, by Hans Born, Ian Leigh, and Aidan Wills (eds.).
- Keeping U.S. Intelligence Effective: The Need for a Revolution in Intelligence Affairs, by William J. Lahneman.
- The Next Wave: On the Hunt for Al Qaeda’s American Recruits, by Catherine Herridge, and Jihad Joe: Americans Who Go To War In The Name of Islam, by J. M. Berger.
- Top Secret America: The Rise of the New American Security State, by Dana Priest and William M. Arkin.
- The CIA on Campus: Essays on Academic Freedom and the National Security State, by Philip Zwerling (ed.).
- Collaborative Intelligence: Using Teams to Solve Hard Problems, by J. Richard Hackman.
- Intelligence: The Secret World of Spies; An Anthology (3rd edition), by Loch Johnson and James J. Wirtz (eds.).
- Reducing Uncertainty: Intelligence Analysis and National Security, by Thomas Fingar.
- The Secret Book of CIA Humor, by Ed Mickolus.
- The Secrets of the FBI, by Ronald Kessler.
- Words of Intelligence: An Intelligence Professional’s Lexicon for Domestic and Foreign Threats (2nd edition), by Jan Goldman.
- The Eleventh Day: The Full Story of 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden, by Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan.
- Historical Dictionary of Atomic Espionage, by Glenmore Trenear-Harvey.
- The Horse That Leaps Through Clouds: A Tale of Espionage, the Silk Road and the Rise of Modern China, by Eric Enno Tamm.
- The Shah, by Abbas Milani.
- The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda, by Ali Soufan with Daniel Freedman.
- The Craft We Chose: My Life in the CIA, by Richard L. Holm.
- The Interrogator: An Education, by Glenn Carle.
- The Art of Betrayal: Life and Death in the British Secret Service, by Gordon Corera.